September 3, 2008

Grip Change

I've been using the Vardon overlap grip since I started playing the game three years ago. I never much liked the interlocking grip. It felt uncomfortable. However, a week or so ago, in an effort to reduce tension in my hands, arms and shoulders, I have switched to the interlocking grip and here is why.

It is a well known fact that muscle tension is the number one killer of good golf shots. Grip pressure should be light and constant throughout the swing to keep your muscles from tensing up. You should hold onto the club with just enough pressure to control the club and not have it slip during the swing. The proper way to do this without adding tension in your forearms and up to your shoulders is to apply pressure with the correct fingers.

The proper fingers to use to apply grip pressure for a right handed golfer are the last three fingers on your left hand (middle, ring, pinky) and the middle two fingers on your right hand (middle, ring). By keeping the absolute minimum amount of pressure in the pinchers (thumb and index) of the hands you reduce the amount of muscle tension up through the arm.

I found that switching to the interlocking grip has allowed me to keep the grip pressure in my pinchers very light. Try it... if your applying too much pressure in the pinchers with an interlocking grip it is going to be very uncomfortable. You won't neccesarily notice the extra pressure of the left hand pinchers with the Vardon Overlap.

I've found that the interlocking grip forces me to ease up with the pinchers at least on the left hand. This has allowed me to relax my hands, wrists and arms to decrease tension. Less tension has allowed me to set the club properly at the top with a flat left wrist which equates to a square club face at the top. When I grip the club too hard I have a tendency to cup my left wrist at the top thus opening up the clubface at the top. So far I am pleased with the results. Hey, if the interlocking grip is good enough for Tiger it's good enough for me!

No comments: