September 2, 2008

Pine Ridge Country Club - 8/31/08

Well, I made it out for a full round over the long weekend. Here's the recap...
  • Score: 83
  • Birdies: 1
  • Pars: 6
  • Bogies: 9
  • Double Bogies: 2
  • Putts: 34
  • GIR: 6
  • Fairways: 9/14
  • Penalty Strokes: 2
  • 3-Jacks: 2

Although the score I posted is not that great I really feel good about the way I was hitting the ball. The daily swing drills I have been doing have really been paying off. My swing has been totally transformed. I really felt like I was swinging the club rather than hitting at the ball. The bucket drill, which I started doing about 4 days prior has really helped with getting my arms and body more in sync. I still have a ways to go but there has been definite improvement. I could tell my core rotation was stopping prior to impact before starting this drill. I really felt my rotation through the ball and the right shoulder working down towards the ball through impact. This felt great!

I hit my driver the best I have all season. I had a couple of 270+ drives and averaged 257 yards for the day. My main miss was a pull with my hybrids and irons. I'm still going a little too hard with the arms from the top. I have to keep on working on "passive arms". I'm getting there. Late in the round I could tell my back was getting tired (I have arthritis in 3 joints in my lower back). Play slowed down and my tempo got quick. Chopping down that tree the day before definitely had an impact on my stamina. I could also tell I have been neglecting my putting. I missed a couple of easy putts and had two lags that were less than stellar. I really need to get better at reading greens!

All in all I am very pleased with the round. I had fun, kept my focus off score, and just enjoyed the day. I'm sticking with my daily non-ballstriking drills of...

  1. The Broom Drill
  2. The Body Drill
  3. The Bucket Drill

I'm not sure when my next full round will be. I'll probably make it out for a practice 9 later this week.

No comments: