August 29, 2008

Baseline: Where I'm At Now

This golf season has been one of extreme frustration. At the end of last season my index was at -10.6 and I had the lofty goal of getting to the 5's by the end of the year. With the high expectations I've placed on myself I've become a mental mess on the course. I'm working on that though as I'll get into in a separate post. I've broken into the 70's this year for the first time. Man, is that a good feeling. But, at the same time I now expect to score that well each time out. I definitely have the tools to do so. I think of myself as a better golfer than I was last year at this time. The scores just haven't been there for me. I've learned so much this year about the game, learning the game, and myself. It's just a matter of time before it all starts coming together.

If I can get off the tee well I usually score very well. But, if I'm all over the place with the driver, which has been the case a lot this year, my confidence dips and it really affects my whole game. I'm a solid iron player; if I'm in the short grass and 150 in I'll hit the green 7 of 10 times. I avaerage about 32 putts per round. Not bad but not stellar either. Chipping and pitching, which I practice the most, is the second weakest area of my game behind driving. As a result, I am working on putting a new short game system into play. I'll share this in a separate post. The initial practice results are promising. As for the driving, I rarely take the big dog out of the bag anymore. I'll hit the 3-wood just as far and if I don't try to squeeze every last yard out of it I'm very accurate with it. Hmmm? maybe that should tell me something.

No comments: