August 29, 2008

Don't Be a Swing Adulterer!

If there is one thing I have learned this year it is this; pick an instructor and a swing philosophy you whole heartedly believe in and stick with it. Near the beginning of this season I bought into Chuck Quinton's Rotary Swing and I'm not looking back. I would urge you to do the same and not commit swing adultery... you know what that is right? You read some forum post about how great some dude you don't even know is puring each and every iron immediately after switching to the Stack n Tilt as you long to hit every iron shot on the screws... "I oughta try that. My iron play has stunk lately." Adulterer! Or, your reading your most recent Golf Digest and come across the instructional article by Tiger Woods entitled "How to Hit My New (more complicated)Stinger (you shouldn't ever be trying to hit)" and think to yourself... "I know I can hold off my release a split second. Why not? I drink Tigerade too!" Adulterer! Or, some 20-capper walks by you at the chipping green and uninvitedly offers up a nice little nugget about how your grip is incorrect and you weight distribution at setup is out of whack and you think... "Maybe he's right" and you change your grip before the round you're just about to play. Adulterer!

You get the picture, right? My unsolicited advice is to buy into a philosophy. Find a good instructor who is willing to invest in your success and give it a reasonable amount of time to really sink in. If you need an instructor/philosophy I would highly suggest you look into Chuck's Rotary Swing. He is a great guy who really knows his stuff. He also knows how to teach it. Those are two traits that are hard to come by in the golf instruction world.

And then you can take all those back issues of Golf Digest and Golf Magazine that are piling up on the back of the toilet to the recycling dumpster!

No comments: